Indonesia calls off AirAsia search

Standard

RETRIEVAL. In this file photo, Indonesian rescuers inspect body bags of victims of crashed AirAsia flight QZ8501 on board of the Navy's war ship KRI Banda Aceh at sea off Pangkalan Bun, Central Kalimantan, Indonesia, 23 January 2015. Photo from EPA

RETRIEVAL.
In this file photo, Indonesian rescuers inspect body bags of victims of
crashed AirAsia flight QZ8501 on board of the Navy’s war ship KRI Banda
Aceh at sea off Pangkalan Bun, Central Kalimantan, Indonesia, 23
January 2015. Photo from EPA

JAKARTA,
Indonesia – Indonesian search and rescue teams on Tuesday, March 17,
ended the hunt for victims from last year’s AirAsia plane crash, an
official said, with 56 people still unaccounted for.

Flight QZ8501 went down in stormy weather during what was supposed to
be a short trip from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore on
December 28, killing all 162 people on board. (IN PHOTOS: The search for AirAsia QZ8501)

The crash of the Airbus A320-200 into the Java Sea sparked a huge
international hunt, with ships and aircraft from several nations
scouring the sea for the plane wreckage and the victims.

The search was scaled back dramatically in recent weeks, with foreign
vessels withdrawing as well as the Indonesian military, which had
provided the bulk of personnel and equipment.

Indonesia’s civilian search and rescue agency had continued the hunt,
but on a smaller scale and their teams were only occasionally finding
more bodies and wreckage.

S.B. Supriyadi, the search agency official coordinating the effort,
told AFP that the search would “end completely” on Tuesday and that the
vessels still involved would pull out.

“All four ships will return to Jakarta (Wednesday) morning,” he said.

The total number of victims found stood at 106, he said. Search teams
last found more bodies on Saturday, when three were discovered under
some wreckage, he added.

The last major part of the fuselage that could be recovered was pulled from the sea last month.

The decision to end the hunt came after AirAsia boss Tony Fernandes signalled last week that operations were drawing to a close.

The chief of the Malaysian low-cost airline said that the operation
had been “successful” but added that it could not “go on indefinitely”.

“There is a time period and we’ve agreed with the families that this
is obviously not something that can go on indefinitely,” he said.

“But it’s important for us that the families agreed on this and
that’s why I give them credit that they didn’t keep insisting that we go
on forever.”

The Indonesian National Transportation Safety Committee has so far
shed little light on what caused the flight to crash, or what occurred
in the moments before the tragedy.

It has reported that the plane climbed rapidly in an area of towering
storm clouds before crashing, and that the co-pilot was at the
controls, rather than the more experienced pilot, in the moments before
the accident.

The plane’s black box flight data recorders have been recovered,
which will provide vital clues as investigators seek to figure out what
caused the crash.

Indonesia will release the final report into the crash by August, the transport minister told AFP last month. – Rappler.com

via Blogger http://ift.tt/1wY7M0Z

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s